Sunday, July 23, 2006

Guantanemera

If your name was Chun-Li, we'd be playin Street Fighter.



I could actually argue that the Carnival was a better album than the Score but I'd probably cause a whole set of hoopla amongst Hip Hop fans. I can remember when I first heard both albums though which is kind of rare given the amount of music I listen to. Heard the Score the Friday before Reading week late Feb 1996. Was actually on my way to the bus station to head for "the D" when I decided to kill some time and stop in Play De to see what was new. Surprise of surprises a new Fugee album. Somehow back then all the really good album releases snuck up on me. Anyway bought the cassette and well needless to say I killed that ish on the 5 hr bus ride and when I came back me and my boys was all over that album. My favorite song was Zealots with lines from Clef like
I haunt MC's like Mephistopheles, bringin swords of Damocles
Secret service keep a close watch as if my name was Kennedy
Abstract raps simple with a street format
Gaze into the sky and measure planets by parallax


and Lauryn with the
"behold, as my odes, manifold on your rhymes Two MC's can't occupy the same space at the same time".

That was some crazy we got to rewind that joint ish.

The Carnival well bought it late Spring or early summer of 97. Was finishing up Grad School and living in a basement in the Annex. I remember listening to it once and being like whatever, then when I settled down for the crazy intensive thesis write up this album was my theme music.

Anyway I've decided to revamp the blog a bit with the help of Youtube. Now I'll just be dropping a video (and I might throw in some reggae some of the time), and dropping a couple of paragraphs.

Peace!

2 comments:

chrome said...

hahahhaa damn not seen that vid in a minute.

I liked the score, but Clef's zany joint had me going the summer it came out.

p.s. The memoirs of the short, light & tansome said...

I think my favorite line from the Score album (although there were countless)was Lauryn's from the same song (Zealots)...

[So while you fuming, I'm consuming
Mango juice under Polaris,
You're just embarrassed
Cause it's your "Last Tango in Paris"]

AND EVEN AFTER ALL MY LOGIC AND MY THEORY,
I ADD A MUTHAF**KKER SO YOU IGNINT NIGGAS HEAR ME.

[And you remember take notes,
As I sow my rap otas
And for you biting zealots, here's a quote].

Blooooooodclot.